Jan 23, 2018
ABOUT SMITHSONIAN ASSOCIATES
Smithsonian Associates advances the Smithsonian Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
Supports marketing and programming teams by filming and producing video content.
- Attend and videotape select programs for promotional purposes
- Develop b-roll and promotional videos as needed by the marketing department
- Work with program managers to put together video clips for event presentations
- Edit clips based on various communication channels and audiences: social media, email, teacher resources, and internal Smithsonian communication
- May also include photography
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
- Develop enhanced communication skills for customer relation and marketing
- Become familiar with common communication platforms and best practices
- Gain exposure to a wide variety of real life film production needs and solutions
- Work independently as well as cooperatively with a team in a non-profit setting
- Work creatively on projects for the promotion of Smithsonian programs and events
- Strong creative, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Advanced facility with computers and video editing software
- Aesthetic abilities and impeccable attention to detail
- Interest in gaining experience in marketing and programming departments
- Flexibility and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- College students at the junior, senior and graduate levels studying television and film with experience in advertising communication, design, film production, screenwriting, and editing preferred.
- Include completed relevant coursework with application.
- Students must supply their own camera for projects.
25 – 32 hours/week; 1 semester (preference given to applicants who can stay a full school year)
Monday-Friday 9 am – 5 pm, schedule is flexible based on project needs
Jeanie Arnold, Social Media and Digital Marketing Specialist
All Smithsonian Associates internships are unpaid and housing is not provided. College credit may be granted, but must be coordinated in advance with the intern’s university/college.
S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC
SMITHSONIAN ASSOCIATES WEBSITE
Intern positions at Smithsonian Associates are available year-round. For more information go to http://smithsonianassociates.org/ticketing/internships/start.aspx
Spring – January to May
Summer – June to August
Fall – September to December
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the following dates:
Spring Positions – October 1
Summer Positions – February 1
Fall Positions – July 1
Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis.
To apply for this internship and more, visit Handshake