The National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) has 9 PAID internship opportunities for Summer 2018 supported by the Robert Frederick Smith Fund for the Digitization and Curation of African American History. NMAAHC offers these internships to increase participation of groups who are underrepresented in the museum field. Opportunities take place in Washington, DC; Durham, NC; Pittsburgh, PA; Daytona Beach, FL; and Montgomery, AL.
Deadline: Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. March 15, 2018.
For full position descriptions, visit the Smith Fund Internships website: https://nmaahc.si.edu/RFSInterns.
1. Digitization – 1 position at NMAAHC in Washington, DC
2. Integrated Marketing Media – 1 position at NMAAHC in Washington, DC
3. Web Content – 1 position at NMAAHC in Washington, DC
4. Oral History Transcription – 2 positions at Bethune-Cookman University in Daytona Beach, FL
5. Oral History – 2 positions at the National Center for the Study of Civil Rights and African-American Culture at Alabama State University in Montgomery, AL
6. Collections Management – 1 position at the Senator John Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh, PA
7. Oral History and Digitization – 1 position at Stagville State Historic Site in Durham, NC
Sign up to attend an informational webinar February 5 at 1:00 p.m. Eastern. The webinar will provide an overview of the internship program and step-by-step application instructions. https://tinyurl.com/y97ehx6z
All internships are 12 weeks (35-40 hours per week) and paid a stipend of $600 per week. An additional $150 per week stipend for housing and transportation is available based on applicant need.
Interns will participate in formal mentorship and a calendar of professional development workshops. Attendance at the Association of African American Museums in August 2018 will be subsidized.
Email RFSInternships@si.edu or call 202-633-4511 with questions.
Undergraduate students having completed at least one year of study, graduate students, and individuals working in the field less than 2 years.
Instructions for Washington, DC positions:https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/internships-fellowships/internship-application-process
Application Portal: https://solaa.si.edu/solaa/#/public
For positions in NC, FL, PA, and AL, complete the application cover sheet and e-mail all materials as Word or PDF attachments to RFSInternships@si.edu.
Required documents for all positions:
To apply for this internship and more, visit Handshake.