APR Department up for Top Honors at PRWeek Awards

Feb 19, 2018

The Department of Advertising and Public Relations has been nominated for two top honors at the 2018 PRWeek Awards. Maret Montanari was selected as a finalist for Public Relations Student of the Year and the department is among the finalists for Top PR Education Program.

Montanari, of Beaumont, Texas, is the second UA student to be a top-two finalist for this award. Montanari currently serves as the director for Capstone Agency, the College’s nationally affiliated, student-run, integrated communications firm.

“I’m incredibly excited, and honestly still in shock that I was named a top-two finalist,” said Montanari. “I know I have our top-ranked APR program and my professors to thank for preparing me to apply for such an award. The application process was time consuming, but I wanted to put my education to the test and see what would happen. No matter the outcome, I’m honored to represent the University.”

For the eighth time, the APR department is a top-five program finalist. The judging criteria for submissions consider each program’s faculty contributions to public relations in teaching, research and service to the industry, and the program’s initiatives in connecting current and former students to the public relations industry in three areas: job and internship placements, speakers and events, and consulting and experiential learning.

Other finalists for the top program award include DePaul University, Georgetown University, Syracuse University and City University of New York.

Also, Jacquie McMahon, recent APR graduate, is a finalist for Top Young Professional McMahon graduated from C&IS with a degree in public relations in 2015. She currently works as a senior account executive at Ketchum in New York City.

“Building and maintaining a top, nationally ranked advertising and public relations education program is a process,” said Dr. Phelps. “With the department being ranked among the top five in the U.S. for eight of the last ten years, with students that are finalists in Outstanding Student category in each of the last two years, and with a recent alum as a finalist for Young Professional of the Year, it is clear that the process is working. The message this success communicates to our peers and to professionals hiring our students is loud and clear. They will be watching to see if we can continue to implement the process. As I transition back to the faculty from my role as Department Chair I will be watching too.”

The winners for each category will be announced on March 15th at the 2018 PRWeek Awards Dinner and Presentation in New York City.