Research and Creative Activity: Dr. Eyun-Jung Ki

Feb 21, 2018

Dr. Eyun-Jung Ki

Professor of advertising and public relations, Dr. Eyun-Jung Ki, has secured two $15,000 grants from the Korean Foundation for International Cultural Exchange (KOFICE). KOFICE works to increase mutual understanding and relations with nations around the world.

The first grant will allow Ki to pursue her research proposal on “The Impact of the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics on Americans’ Intention to Consume Korean Cultural Contents.” The study will investigate the impact of the winter Olympics on Americans’ intentions to consume Korean cultural products including K pop music, products, or K drama after watching the Olympics.

“As the Olympics are a mega-event, there are many opportunities to learn from the mass media coverage and stories about Korean culture, as well as be able to see the impact that watching the Olympics may have on those who tuned in,” said Ki. “Will they want to consume more Korean culture? Will they want to visit the country because of this coverage? These are questions that I hope to answer.”

The second grant will support the Korean American Communication Association’s (KACA) 40th anniversary conference on August 9, 2018. Ki currently serves as president of KACA, an organization that works to facilitate academic and social exchanges among Korean communication scholars and students in North America.

Ki and others in KACA are passionate about the work that is being done by the organization, all in effort to bring Korean-American professionals greater knowledge of the communication field.
To learn more about KACA, visit their website.

“My personal network has grown exponentially through KACA,” said Ki. “I am now able to reach people I never imagined I could be connected with. KACA is the backbone of my academic life and has become the strongest support system for me.”

The College of Communication and Information Sciences’ faculty and students at The University of Alabama conduct cutting-edge research that creates knowledge and provides solutions to global issues across the full communication and information spectrum. To learn more about its research initiatives, visit