Feb 28, 2018
Put your writing, research and relationship skills to work with the Public Relations team, developing media assets that drive news coverage. The team’s PR efforts primarily support the Disneyland Resort, increasing awareness of this world-class family vacation destination. Learn to engage with consumer media utilizing all formats (print, digital, social, and broadcast).
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit a writing sample. Instructions are listed below under the Additional Information section. Please submit this at the time of application.
A Day in the Life….
Support domestic and Hispanic PR efforts that create awareness of new developments at the Disneyland Resort, with the goal of driving visitation. Help create assets and content (press releases, photo captions, social media content, video, blog posts, etc.) and assist with maintaining content databases and news site.
Other duties include.
- Assist in managing relationships with consumer media.
- Utilize your media savvy to identify story ideas and media opportunities.
- Create/maintain media coverage summary reports.
- Assist with on-property media visits, familiarization tours and press events.
- Utilizing storytelling ability to inspire Guests and Cast Members through engaging, timely and accurate content.
What You Bring…
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Previous internship or work experience in Journalism or Public Relations
- Flexibility to work various hours including weekends and evenings
- Strong working knowledge of the Disneyland Resort
- Demonstrated proficiency creating content in Social Media, including WordPress, in a professional or academic setting
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Proficiency with Associated Press writing style
- Computer proficiency within a Windows or MAC environment (both preferred)
- Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish
- Previous reporting/writing experience with a news outlet (print, broadcast or digital)
- Previous work experience at the Disneyland Resort
- Demonstrated proficiency designing and creating graphics and/or infographics
- Currently pursuing (or recently graduated with) a degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Mass Communications, Media Relations or a related major
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from an accredited college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are June through January. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
Recommendation – Print This Role Description:
Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview.
This position also requires a writing sample in order for you to be considered for this role. Your writing sample topic will be based on this press release.
Your writing sample must consist of:
• One blog post (approximately 350 words)
• One brief press release, with a headline (maximum word count 450 words, not counting headline)
– The blog post and press release will be similar in content, but should be distinct in style.
• One Tweet (140 characters)
• A PR plan outline that explains what types of things you would do to promote this offer. We’re interested in your strategy with a brief summary of each tactic you would recommend for the campaign, not a detailed description of how to do it.
To upload your writing sample:
• Log into your dashboard at disneyinterns.com
• Click the link labeled “Edit Profile Info”
• Click on the “Attachments” Tab
• Be sure your document is titled in this format: FirstName_LastName_DLRPR Writing Sample
• Select a document type of “Other”
This position also does require you to present a transcript, official or unofficial, to your dashboard.
To upload this document:
- Log into your dashboard at www.DisneyInterns.com
- Click the link labeled “Upload Résumé”
- Be sure your document is titled in this format: FirstName_LastName_Type (i.e. Mickey_Mouse_Transcripts)
To browse this internship and more, visit Handshake.