Mar 26, 2018
This opportunity expires April 9, 2018
Two internship positions per Market (10 Markets) in the SC Region available with Sam’s Club (Temporary Housing is Not Available).
This position is responsible for the operation of a department. An individual in this position will be expected to perform additional job related responsibilities and duties as assigned and/or necessary.
- An individual must be able to successfully perform the essential functions of this position with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Develops an understanding of store operations by following company policies and procedures; supporting hourly supervisors and management across functional areas; assisting in maintaining merchandise presentation (for example, setting up and organizing product displays); receiving and stocking merchandise; completing required paperwork, logs, and documentation as required; seeking out and completing job shadowing assignments with initiative; and providing continuous improvement feedback to leadership and stakeholders.
- Models appropriate leadership behavior by observing management as they supervise and develop associates and leaders in area of responsibility; demonstrating a positive, service-focused attitude; and striving to provide excellence across all job aspects and performance areas.
- Provides customer service to internal or external customers/members by communicating and meeting with associates; listening to associate comments or concerns; identifying customer needs; promoting functional area products and services; assisting in resolving customer issues and concerns; and supporting a safe shopping environment.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
An individual must be proficient in each of the competencies listed below to successfully perform the responsibilities of this position.
- Customer/Member Centered:
- Meet Internal and External Customer/Member Needs – Identifies the requirements, expectations, and needs of customers/members.
- Supports and aligns with initiatives, goals, and actions focused on improving customer/member service.
- Addresses the concerns and issues of internal and external customers/members.
- Uses customer/member data, analyses, and insights to improve customer/member-related decisions.
- Demonstrate Professional Judgment – Researches and integrates relevant information and data, and uses expertise to make recommendations or decisions. Identifies and applies sound, fact-based criteria in setting priorities and making decisions.
- Uses business measures and analyses to identify improvement opportunities.
- Probes and looks beyond symptoms to determine the root causes of problems and identify possible solutions.
- Execution and Results:
- Focus on Execution and Results – Aligns and pursues work activities to achieve the mission and business priorities of the organization.
- Shares information, practices, and resources across functions, organizations, and locations to improve performance.
- Effectively uses existing processes and tools to achieve performance objectives.
- Uses and explains major process steps to manage time, resources, and challenges to meet goals.
- Planning and Improvement:
- Plan for and Improve Performance – Develops and implements plans, practices, and processes to better achieve organizational goals.
- Develops contingency plans to manage or eliminate potential problems.
- Identifies and recommends ways to continually improve and streamline processes and practices.
- Influence and Communicate:
- Build Influence – Develops and presents logical, convincing reasons in support of one’s perspectives and initiatives.
- Proactively shares relevant information and timely updates with appropriate people.
- Listens attentively and asks questions to ensure understanding.
- Researches information for and prepares documents and presentations that effectively convey relevant information in a timely manner.
- Ethics and Compliance:
- Model Ethics and Compliance – Complies with policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates ethical performance.
- Supports efforts to enforce compliance with policies and procedures.
- Adapt Professionally – Demonstrates creativity and strength in the face of change, obstacles, and adversity.
- Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities.
- Updates and shares knowledge and skills to keep current in one’s area of expertise.
- Embraces change and supports its implementation.
- Build Relationships:
- Form Relationships – Builds trusting, collaborative relationships and alliances across functional and organizational boundaries.
- Relates to others in an accepting and respectful manner, regardless of their organizational level, personality, or background.
- Collaborates with people from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and functional areas to discover new perspectives.
- Physical Activities: The following physical activities are necessary to perform one or more essential functions of this position.
- Observes associate, customer, or supplier behavior.
- Enters and locates information on computer.
- Moves up and down stairs.
- Presents information to small or large groups and individuals.
- Communicates effectively in person or by using telecommunications equipment.
- Squats, kneels, or crawls for extended periods of time.
- Creates documents, reports, etc., using a writing instrument (such as a pencil or pen) or computer.
- Moves, lifts, carries, and places merchandise and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds without assistance.
- Grasps, turns, and manipulates objects of varying size and weight, requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Visually locates merchandise and other objects.
- Visually inspects equipment.
- Reaches overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
- Safely operates a motor vehicle.
- Visually verifies and reads information, often in small print.
- Stands for long periods of time.
- Traveling is necessary to perform one or more essential functions of this position.
- Travels domestically to and from multiple facilities or work-sites requiring an overnight stay.
- Travels domestically to and from multiple facilities or work-sites during the workday.
- Work Environment
- Working in the following environment is necessary to perform one or more of the essential functions of this position.
- Moves through narrow, confined spaces such as stacks of merchandise or supplies, storage areas, and closets.
- Moves over sloping, uneven surfaces such as the parking lot, building perimeter, receiving bays, sections of the facility which have temporary cracks, or areas under repair.
- Works in areas requiring exposure to varying temperatures, extreme heat or cold, and/or wet, damp, or drafty conditions.
- Works overnight as required.
- Works varying shifts as required.
- Entry Requirements Minimum Qualifications:
- Currently enrolled in an accredited 4 year college or university and within 30 hours of being awarded a bachelor’s degree in any area of focus
- Cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.0 or higher
- For facilities that sell only ammunition and have state specific requirements, I acknowledge that the position for which I am applying may require a current state issued Certificate of Eligibility.
- For facilities that sell firearms, I acknowledge that the position for which I am applying will require successful completion of a firearms-specific Criminal Background Check (CBC) and Firearms Authorized Training.
- Preferred Qualifications: Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Retail Management, General Merchandising, or other area of focus relevant to the retail industry.
To apply for this internship or view more, visit Handshake.