Amy Martin, director of creative services and programming for WVUA 23, received the Governor’s Award during the American Advertising Federation’s (AAF) District 7 Leadership Conference on August 24.  

The Governor’s Award is AAF District 7’s highest honor, presented to volunteers who have left lasting impacts on advertising and their communities. Only one award is granted per year. 

Martin (center), moments before her name was called as recipient for the Governor’s Award.

“Winning this award is incredibly meaningful to me because giving back to my community is something I am truly passionate about,” said Martin.  

“Volunteering has always been a core part of my life, driven by my deep love for my community and a desire to make a difference wherever I can. I never seek recognition for what I do—I simply want to help as many people and animals as possible,” said Martin. The plaque, which is mirrored to reflect the face of the recipient, punctuates Martin’s dedication to serving West Alabama over the last three decades. 

Martin (left) hugs regional director and AAF Tuscaloosa president Julie Mann (right).
Martin hugs lieutenant governor Rebecca Royen.

Beyond WVUA 23, Martin serves on the board for several nonprofit organizations, including the West Alabama Food and Wine Festival and the Mystic Krewe of the Druids. She has also been crucial to AAF Tuscaloosa’s board, having served as the chapter’s American Advertising Awards chair. 

She continued, “I feel blessed to work alongside so many amazing individuals who are equally dedicated to making a positive impact. It’s the collective effort of everyone I have worked with that helps to address local challenges, provide vital resources and build a brighter future for everyone. By all of us giving our time and talents, we not only make a difference in the lives of others but also contribute to the overall well-being and unity of our community.” 

AAF District 7’s Leadership Conference is a two-day event that welcomes advertising leaders from across the southeast to network, learn and grow.

Best known for the American Advertising Awards, the nation’s most competitive advertising awards competition, AAF is the “unifying voice for advertising,” specializing in networking, service, education and grassroots activism. District 7 is one of the most decorated districts in the organization, and several members from AAF Tuscaloosa have joined District 7 Advertising Hall of Fame, including Michele Massey and Dr. Bruce Roche. 

Students may join The University of Alabama’s AAF chapter by visiting the engagement portal. Professionals interested in AAF can become members here.