Job duration: Summer internship (30-40 hours per week)
Location: Washington, D.C.
Start Date: May 2020 (flexible)
About Valens Global:
Valens Global is a private firm known for its rigorous research and analysis. Valens helps governments, private companies, and non-governmental organizations understand, visualize, and address the challenges posed by violent non-state actors operating domestically and abroad, the adversarial nation-states that sponsor them, and other emerging threats. As an adaptive organization that consistently and confidently produces innovative solutions, Valens seeks to raise the standard for the field.
Our risk assessments, forecasting, training, data collection, and strategic action plans help clients understand and dynamically respond to the challenges posed by terrorists and other hostile actors. Valens Global boasts a stable of clients with whom we love to work, and are proud to associate. They include U.S. government agencies, tech firms, energy companies, academic institutions, think tanks, and others who need to better understand how violent non-state actors are changing the world—and how to safeguard their interests, assets, personnel, and values in light of these challenges.
Valens fosters an intellectually vibrant climate that emphasizes teamwork, transparency, meritocracy, accountability, and empowerment at every level. Above all else, we produce quality work. We are proud of our record of delivering products that exceed our clients’ expectations and stand the test of time. At Valens, you will be part of a smart, talented, and confident team of people with interesting and diverse backgrounds, experiences, and outlooks. We think Valens is a great place to work, and we believe that you will, too.
Valens Global is looking for an intern who will work with the Analysis team. Tasks performed may include conducting research, helping draft written reports, and working closely with analysts on deliverables for clients. Candidates should be prepared to contribute immediately to the analysis team. Consistent with Valens Global’s organizational philosophy, interns are encouraged to challenge conventional wisdom, critically analyze existing problems, and come up with new solutions to old problems.
- Collaborate in the researching and drafting of polished, well-organized, and thoughtful reports.
- Conduct research consulting a wide range of open-source materials, including primary and secondary sources and social media data.
- Think creatively and brainstorm new products with the team.
- Familiarity with topics related to violent non-state actors, the global jihadist movement, white supremacy extremism, and transnational criminal organizations. While familiarity of all four is not a requirement, some subject-matter knowledge is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working in research.
- Strong critical thinking and analytic skills.
- Strong writing abilities.
- Strong skills in interpersonal communication, organization, and working as part of a team.
- Pursuing or recently completed a bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover letter.
- Resume or CV.
- Three references. Note: We are not looking for letters of recommendation, but rather people willing to serve as a reference for your qualifications who would be happy to talk to us about your candidacy.
- Two writing samples. One should be brief (5 pages or less) and display the applicant’s ability to convey complicated information concisely and clearly. The second sample should be longer (10-20 pages) to showcase the applicant’s ability to conduct in-depth, nuanced research. The second sample should be no longer than 20 pages; please feel free to excerpt your second sample from a longer paper. If you do opt to excerpt a longer work, please provide a brief blurb providing adequate context. Both samples should include all relevant footnotes or citations. None of the writing samples should be co-authored or published.
- Unofficial transcript(s).
Prospective candidates will be asked to partake in interviews and complete a writing skills test prior to hiring.
Please send all application materials in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.