Steven Yates, Ph.D., associate dean of undergraduate and graduate studies for the College of Communications & Information Sciences (C&IS), has been selected to be part of The University of Alabama’s 2024-2025 Leadership U class.  

Developed by the Office for Academic Affairs, Leadership U prepares faculty and staff in leadership positions to take on greater levels of responsibility within their organization. The program helps faculty develop their leadership skills and a deeper understanding of the University’s structure and function through mutual learning and interaction. 

“Being named to the Leadership U class of 2024-2025 was a pleasant surprise to start this academic year. I look forward to the learning ahead” Yates said, “I’m looking forward to meeting folks across campus and having the opportunity to hear directly from campus leaders about their personal leadership philosophies and experiences. Having a mix of faculty and staff participants provides a rich opportunity to learn more about all areas of campus.” 

Yates earned his Ph.D. in Philosophy from The University of Alabama, with an emphasis in instructional technology. He has a background working in school and public libraries, which still informs his current work. 

He said, “My experience in school and public libraries solidified my commitment to access and equity for all. While I will always miss my school library work, I find that leading discussions and efforts surrounding student success allows me so many opportunities to facilitate access and equity for all of our prospective and current students. That keeps me excited to come to work each morning.” 

Yates wears a lot of hats. Last year, he became the associate dean of undergraduate studies; recently, he was appointed associate dean of graduate studies. The jobs have him working with a range of focuses, interests and personalities, from ensuring resources are available for student services and engagement staff, representing C&IS in campus conversations and overseeing the college’s undergraduate and graduate councils’ discussions on curricular and student services. 

“I’m just over a year into the undergraduate studies role and a few months into the graduate studies role. Serving the College in these two roles means I am constantly looking for resources for student success” said Yates about his recent career move, “My focus last year was on undergraduate students, but the expanded focus on all C&IS students provides opportunities to spark discussions on how to serve all of our students better—that’s exciting!” 

Yates is also an associate professor in SLIS, where his courses focus on school libraries. He helped develop an education specialist certification program at SLIS, in partnership with the College of Education and coordinates school library media programs. He also worked with SLIS director Jamie Naidoo to develop the school’s first bachelor’s degree program. 

“I’m excited to help C&IS navigate the transition to the first major general education curriculum revision in 40 years,” he said. “I am also thrilled to work with the School of Library and Information Studies to expand their presence across campus with the introduction of a bachelor’s degree in informatics and minors in informatics and book arts. I’m honored to be a part of the great things happening across our college and university.” 

SLIS is one of the nation’s top-ranked programs for library, information and book arts education. Home to award-winning, engaged faculty and accomplished graduates in archives, book arts, information science and library studies, the school prepares students to critically examine and mediate the production, utilization, dissemination, preservation and impacts of information to address real-world challenges such as health disparities, misinformation, social inequalities, and cybersecurity. 

For more information about Leadership U, visit UA’s faculty affairs website