The inaugural class of the Shelby Scholars program by the Shelby Institute for Policy & Leadership has been announced, consisting of 39 students. Seven of those students are part of C&IS, Kalleigh Ahern, Ally-Anna Outlaw, Morgan Patrick, Julienne Pharrams, Finley Richardson, Counts Shanks and Reagan Wells. 

The Shelby Scholars program is an interdisciplinary, nonpartisan, credit-bearing program. It seeks to educate the future leaders of Alabama and the wider United States through unique programming, experiential learning, and interactions with prominent guest lecturers. 

“I am extremely honored to have been selected by the Shelby Institute to be a part of the inaugural class of The Shelby Scholars” said Morgan Patrick, a senior studying communication studies and political science in C&IS, “former Senator Richard Shelby was an extremely influential leader in the State of Alabama and left an admirable legacy in both policy and leadership.” 

The first class of Shelby Scholars is made up of students from various locales, disciplines, and goals, which gives students an opportunity to connect with various subjects through different viewpoints.  

“I am excited to be surrounded by peers who are motivated to learn more about policy and leadership from local, state and national leaders in a variety of fields,” said Reagan Wells, a junior who is double majoring in communication studies and political science in C&IS, “I applied for this program to expand my academic interests by learning in unique settings from my peers, guest lecturers and Shelby Institute Staff.” 

The program fills a gap in UA for students looking for interdisciplinary, credit bearing education focused on leadership, public policy and governmental interests. Participants take two exclusive classes during the academic year: a speaker series featuring local, state and national leaders and a course on the Constitution’s role in modern society led by former UA Law School dean and Shelby Institute academic director Mark E. Brandon, Ph.D. 

“Throughout my time at UA, I have always felt that there was an unfulfilled need in my education when it came to my interest in public policy” Patrick said, “When I saw the application for the Shelby Scholars, I felt confident that this program would fill that void and take my professional development to the next level.” 

Shelby Scholars will also receive curated, professional mentoring and education during selective experiential learning opportunities like internships and undergraduate research.  

“These opportunities aren’t merely about the transmission of knowledge but are also about building webs of connection and perspective that will enhance students’ lives going forward” said Dr. Brandon, “In subsequent years, the Institute’s programs and opportunities will be even more expansive, rigorous, and beneficial. The first cohort of Shelby Scholars will be instrumental in helping us design and build a program that will enrich the lives of students for generations.” 

The Shelby Insitute for Policy & Leadership is named after former senator Richard Shelby, who donated his congressional materials to UA in 2023 to be archived for research and academic purposes and benefit future leaders. 

The program is part of the UA’s Office for Academic Affairs, which seeks to help faculty and students in teaching, research, and service. It oversees and collaborates with University Press, the Capstone Center for Student Success, and the Office of Institutional Effectiveness, along with many others. 

If you are interested in the Shelby Institute for Policy and Leadership or Shelby Scholars, you can find them at their homepage